Thursday, August 18, 2011

Old Riga

Today the kids were peeved with me most of the day.  They wanted to go to the mega bucks aqua park.  I wanted to go see Riga and since we went to the zoo yesterday, I insisted on a little history.  Well, that went over like a ton of bricks...their protest was not violent, they just wanted to make sure I knew that THEY thought this history business was a waste of everyone's time.  Feet dragged, moans and sighs were heard, and then, they put one foot in front of the other and saw Old Riga.  I won't say they did it HAPPILY, but they did it without any major incidents.  LOL.

Our guide was a Brit who supposedly did "alternative Riga tours" to show you the "real" old Riga.  I think that was a euphemism for "Alternative 20 something who needs beer money will show you what few things he knows about Riga."  Whatever the case may be, I think we know marginally more than we did before.  Marginally.  I should have gone with the old white headed Russian dude because he probably had a wealth of knowledge. Maybe I will make the kids go back next time we come.  They will be overcome with joy.

Here's a few pics from the day....Old Riga reminds me of the French Quarter in New Orleans, only cleaner, safer, and prettier.  LOL.  What I mean is, Old Riga appears to be for Riga what the French Quarter is for NOLA....only a small touristy bit of what the city really is.  That being said, it was picturesque and despite the pouting, I had a wonderful time taking it all in.  If you are coming, it would be a fun way to torment your offspring for an afternoon,

In the town center....pretty church rebuilt to resemble the original



Supposedly this is the place where a Sherlock Holmes was filmed.  It's his Baker Street flat!

Apparently Riga is sinking!




Dome Cathedral--full of scaffolding now and does not appear open.  

Riga's Wall Street


Pretty little Catholic Church


The President's Castle








Freedom Monument

Natasha's New Bike





1 comment:

  1. How did you arrange the tour? i want to do it but will ask for the old Russian dude!

    ReplyDelete